Among the key endeavours of the cloud-first approach of Azure Backup is to enable enterprise to recover from security attacks, corruptions, disasters, or data loss situations quickly, securely, and reliably. Restoring servers successfully in the wake of growing IT threats involves heading beyond recovering data only by backups. customers have varying levels of complexity in how their operating systems and applications are configured. Restoring this dynamic configuration captured in the form of the windows Server System state, in addition to data, with minimum infrastructure, forms a critical aspect of disaster recovery.
Microsoft has now extending the data backup capabilities of Azure backup agent to enable customers to perform comprehensive, secure and reliable Windows Server recoveries. Azure Backup now support for backing up Windows Server System State directly to azure.
Azure Back up will now integrate with the Windows Server Backup feature that is available natively in each windows Server and provide smooth and secure backups of your Windows Server System State directly to Azure without having to provision to any on-premises infrastructure.
- In depth Protection for Active directory, File-Servers and IIS Web Servers: Active Directory (AD) is the most critical database of any organisation and therefore needs a backup strategy that allows for reliable recoveries during critical scenarios. System State of the domain-controller server captures the Active Directory and files that are required for domain-controller synchronization and allow for targeted Active Directory protection and restores.
On a File Server, System State captures important file-cluster configurations and policies that protect files from unauthorized access. Combined with file-folder backup, the backup of System State with Azure Backup agent provides the ability to comprehensively restore File Servers.
On an IIS Web Server, System state captures the IIS Metabase which contains crucial configuration information about the server, the site and even files and folders and therefore is the recommended option restore Web servers.
- Cost-Effective Offsite for Disaster Recovery: System State for most Windows Servers is less than 50 GBs. For that size, at INR 330.00 a month and pay-as-you-go Azure storage, Azure Backup eliminates all infrastructure and licensing costs, and validate you to protect your Windows Server System State for reliable restores. No need to provision local hard-drives, or offsite storage, or deploy additional tools or servers to manage system State backups and ensure their off-siting. Azure Backup manages off-siting System State over a specified schedule to Azure!
- Secure Backups: The enhanced security features built into Azure Backup and data-flexibility offered by Azure ensure that your critical system state backups remain secure from destructive attacks, corruptions, and deletions.
- Flexible Restores: With Azure Backup’s Restore-as-a-Service, you can restore System State files from Azure without any outgoing charges. Additionally, you can apply System State to your Windows Servers at your convenience using the native Windows Server Backup utility.
- Single management pane in Azure: All information related to System State backup jobs across all your Windows servers will be available in the Azure portal. You can also configure notifications directly from Azure to be notified in the event of a failed backup, so you can take remedial steps and ensure your servers are always prepared for disaster recovery!
Availability for Windows Server (Preview)
The support for backing up System State with Azure Backup agent is available in preview for all Windows Server versions from Windows Server 2016 all the way down to Windows Server 2008 R2!
Follow the four simple steps below to start protecting your Windows Servers using Azure Backup!
- Create an Azure Recovery Services Vault.
- Download the latest version of the Azure Backup Agent from the Azure Portal.
- Install and Register the Agent.
- Start protecting Windows Server System State and other Files and Folders directly to Azure!